Re: 20040630: 20040630: potential LDM/pqact problem on OSF/1

Tom,

>Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:10:22 -0600
>From: Tom Yoksas <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: 20040630: 20040630: potential LDM/pqact problem on OSF/1

> I have not gotten the impression that the system David is doing the
> processing on is loaded, but, then again, this issue did not come up.
> One thing that doesn't fit with the SIGALRM scenario is David's comment
> that he will see truncated files created by the Bourne shell script
> I sent him (ldmfile.sh) when it is located after the running of his
> Perl script in the pqact.conf file on the UW OSF/1 macine.  I guess
> that _if_ the Perl script sent the process load sky high, then the
> Bourne shell script could then be operating under the same conditions
> that would cause a SIGALRM.  This seems like a stretch, but I guess
> that it is possible.

I'm not convinced that my observation about the code explains what's
happening either.

You're correct about the shell script.  pqact(1) sets AND CLEARS the
alarm for every PIPE action, so the perl script's alaram shouldn't
affect the shell script.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson