20040712: bigbird syslog logging and file system repair

>From: Gerry Creager n5jxs <address@hidden>

Gerry,

>Don't know about syslogd, as I didn't stop it.

It was weird.  Also weird was /dev/md0 disappearing unexpectedly.
I remounted it and it worked, but I still saw lots of errors in
/var/log/messages.

>I was travelling for
>abou 2 hours and had a 4-hr span in Clarksville TN yesterday where fsck
>was running repetetively.  It had not completed when I drove out from
>coverage w/ wireless.  'fsck -a /dev/md0' would have had to be run at
>least 6 times (I sis it once, and was on interation 5 of 'fsck
>/dev/mdo'[interactive]) when we lost connectivity.
>
>I saw the actions you'd taken and appreciate them.

I tried running 'fsck -p /dev/md0', but it failed in the middle telling
me to run fsck by hand.  I have been doing this for the past two
hours, and it is still going.  I will most likely have to go to bed before
it finishes, so I may have to start over again tomorrow.

>We're still driving.  Currently, connectivity isn't good, but should
>improve when we hit Memphis.

No worries.

>The worst way to ruin a vacation... outside of the cold I got while at
>the inlaws, whom I really do like... is having to get a proposal in3
>days after you're officially on vacation, and no one had responded until
>the first driving day.  I got several calls on the cellphone starting
>with, "Hey, when are you leaving?  I dodn't want to get this to you too
>early..."

Man...

>If you'd run fsck -p, that'd help.  It's still spotty.

It is still running, but it is almost time for bed -- meeting first
thing tomorrow morning.

Later...