20040913: Possible pqact issue in LDM?

Steven,

[Sorry for the delay.  I just returned from a 3-day weekend mini-vacation.]

>Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:13:51 -0500
>From: "Steven Danz" <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20040909: Possible pqact issue in LDM?

> Steve,
> >First things first.  Try adding the "-wait" option to the EXEC entry
> >(without the quotes and bracketed by tabs.
> >

> Will do, but won't this slow things down?  Not that I mind, ingesting
> NOAAPort and running this script is all the system does anyway.

The EXEC-ed program will be executed the same number of times regardless
of whether the "-wait" option is used or not -- so the computer will do
the same amount of work.  Whether it will do this work slower if the
"-wait" option is used is hard to say and is usually determined
empirically.

> >Along those lines, what is the limit on the number of child process a
> >user may have? (Try the command "ulimit -a")
> >
> Max users processes is 1023, but nothing about child processes.

This means that the LDM user is limited to 1024 processes -- totaled
over all sessions.

> >Is there anything relevant in the LDM logfile from the pqact(1) process?
> >
> Nope, nice and clean (which is part of the confusion).

Hmm...  The pqact(1) program will log a message if it can't EXEC
a program for any reason.  Therefore, it can't be hitting the
process-limit.

Let me know the results of using the "-wait" option.

> Thanks for the help!
>
> Steven

Regards,
Steve Emmerson