20041006: LDM situation on bigbird (cont.)

>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

Hi Gerry,

I noticed that the LDM was stopped and restarted on bigbird this
morning.  I also noticed that you were logged on from 6:46 until 7:58
so you were on at the time of the restart.

Did you restart the LDM on bigbird?  If yes, did you restart it because
you did not see data coming in from emo?  For reference, the LDM on emo
was not running (reason as yet not determined) this morning.   Someone
here (either Mike Schmidt or Steve Emmerson) restarted it at 7:06,
and that was close to the time you restarted the LDM on bigbird.

Anyway, here is my view of what is going on based on the assumption that
you restarted the LDM on bigbird in an attempt to get data flowing
again:

The LDM on bigbird ran for almost a day before it was restarted.  This
is in stark contrast to the exits we were seeing before I rebuilt the
LDM without large file support.

The LDM on the test machine running 32-bit FC2 in my office was also
built _without_ large file support.  It has been running without problems
for over a month.

So, I am suspicious about how I build large file support into the LDM
under FC2.  We will need to do some investigation to see if we need
to do something different under FC2 from what we do on FC1 and RH 8/9.