20041026: LDM - LDM User Feed Types

>From: "Ken Patterson" <address@hidden>

>Institution: Sal River Project
>Package Version: 6.1
>Operating System: Redhat Enterprise
>Hardware Information: Dell
>Inquiry: We are evaluating LDM to replace our current method for distributing
> data.  We currently use LDM to receive and process well known products from t
> he NWS, NSSL, NCDC, and others.  We have our own data products we would like
> to see if we can use LDM to transmit with in a private statewide network.  So
> me of our products do not match up with the well known feed types.  What is t
> he methodology to manage this data with LDM?  For instance we have lots of sa
> tellite bitmaps, processed radar data, and other reports that we would like t
> o manage with in LDM.
>
>If I understand LDM.... we can create our own queue and ignore the current fee
> d types using FT0-FT31 to define our own mapping.  Do we stuff everything in
> EXP or use FT31?  Any ideas would be welcome.
>
>Thanks
>       Ken

--Hi Ken,

Either way would work for you..the caveat is that if you create your own feeds
and topology, those machines would fail if trying to connect to the NWS,or
othergroups
using the "standard" feed type designation and LDM/IDD. So, you can stuff
everything
into EXP and work with the  existing LDM/IDD, or if extra granularity is desired
within the feeds, create your own knowing that it is unique to your group.

I lived in the PHX area for about 7 years, good to see our software making it
your way..

Cheers,

Jeff Weber