20050203: Weather*.admin.niu.edu running LDM 6.2.0

>From: Gerry Creager N5JXS <address@hidden>

Hi Gerry,

>Thanks.  I'd perused the site yesterday thinking of upgrading and didn't
>see any entries.  Sounds like I can still consider an upgrade today.
>Or, should I let the 'Bird go for a few more bug cycles?

I strongly recommend upgrading.

LDM-6.2.0 contains some additions and bug fixes that are important in
certain circumstances.  The latest fix was to implement an LDM exit
when trying to startup after reading an ldmd.conf file that had typos
in the datastream name for 'allow' lines.  This might not seem
important, but it was one of the causes for the recent atm outage
(typo: GEN instead of GEM; tired eyes :-o).

LDM-6.2.0 also features removal of user modifiable items from ldmadmin
and putting then in ~ldm/etc/ldmadmin-pl.conf where they will be
persistent across upgrades (less to think about in an upgrade).

LDM-6.2.0 also contains its own implementation of the RPC library.
This is very important for users on AIX, OSF/1, and maybe another
(can't remember).

LDM-6.2.0 builds with large file support by default if it is available
in the OS (it isn't under FreeBSD 4.X, for instance).  This should
make it easier for sites running with queues > 2 GB.

The second problem with the distribution was the omission of the
RELEASE-NOTES file.  This has nothing to do with the operation
of the LDM, only its documentation.

In short, upgrade and your life should become easier in the future.