20050302: LDM ON LINUX

>From: "Jason Caldwell" <address@hidden>

Hi Jason,

>I am interested in acquiring the LDM for use in the State Climate Office
>for both real-time modeling applications using the MM5 and WRF as well
>as case studies from historical events in South Carolina.

The LDM is freely available to all, and is in use in a variety of
different contexts around the world.  Please feel free to download
and use it.

>As the Severe
>Weather Liaison, I am responosible for notifying the emergency
>management and decision-making officials across the state of impending
>weather watches/warnings issued by the NWS and in creating forecasts to
>relay the threats. I currently have a Dell Desktop with Redhat Linux
>with 2 GB ram and over 200 Gigs of hard disk space. Is this software
>supported on Linux?

Yes, Linux is one of our supported platforms.

>Any help you can provide in setting up the program
>would be helpful. I am moderately experienced with Linux but not to the
>point of serving as an administrator. However, I foresee this becoming
>part of my job description in the future. Thanks for you help.

The easiest thing to do is to work your way through the online documentation
for the LDM.  The Unidata LDM homepage is:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/index.html

The current release is LDM-6.2.1, so you should click on that link
and work through the information included:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.2.1/index.html

The LDM Basics and LDM Tutorial should quickly get you to the point of
having a functioning LDM.

After you get an LDM built, how are you planning on using it?

Is your email more than an inquiry into access to and use of the LDM
software?  I.e., are you looking to join the Unidata Internet Data
Distribution system?  If yes, I must tell you that the Unidata IDD is
not an "operational" system.  Rather, it is an effort that is comprised
of mostly university departments cooperating with one another to share
mostly real time data.  There are no guarantees that you will receive
all of the data that you want/need even though most sites do their
utmost to keep things running smoothly.  If you are looking for a
source of real time data to be used for the protection of life and
property, then you would do well to investigate purchasing a NOAAPORT
reception system from any of the commercial vendors that are providing
this service.  If, on the other hand, you would like to participate in
the IDD knowing and accepting the parameters under which it operates,
then we will help identify a university near you that would be willing
to relay you data.

>Jason Caldwell
>Severe Weather Liaison
>SC State Climatology Office