Re: 20050322: EXEC stderr output getting into PIPE results?

Steven,

>Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:09:19 -0600
>From: "Steven Danz" <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20050322: EXEC stderr output getting into PIPE results?

> I guess the bigger question is if it will address my problem.  My
> pqact -is- writing a log file, but running lsof right after an ldm
> restart shows the stderr of the decoders being attached to all sorts
> of random files that only ever show up in the PIPE statements in
> pqact.

If pqact(1) is logging directly to a file (rather than using the
syslog(8) daemon), then the child processes of pqact(1) will have their
standard error streams directed to "/dev/null" -- at least in version
6.3.0.  Therefore, lsof(1) shouldn't show the standard error stream of
any decoder being directed to PIPE files.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson