20050429: LDM - Binaries available?

Scott,

>Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 10:41:56 -0800
>From: "Scott Swank" <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20050429: LDM - Binaries available?

> The install for ldm 5 was under /home/ldm.  I created a directory under
> it called ldm-5 and copied everything under /home/ldm to /home/ldm/ldm-5
> and setup a runtime link to it.  I also maintained all permissions when
> I did the copy.  I modified the path for user ldm and removed
> /home/ldm/bin and changed it to /home/ldm/runtime/bin.

The directory structure of the LDM system is "compiled into" the
programs when they are built -- so moving the top-level directory won't
work by default.  Every LDM program will have to be invoked with options
that explicitly specify the pathnames of its relevant files.  At the
very least, the ldmadmin(1) script will have to be modified to explicitly
use the new directory structure and pathnames.

> However, I now
> have a different problem: Namely ldm5 doesn't want to work.  My
> pqinserts do not give an error, but the logfile shows nothing inserted
> and the datafile timestamp doesn't update.  Also, machines that this
> system feeds doesn't see the data.  I need to get 5 working correctly
> before I can do the "simple" switch on the runtime link to test 6.
>
> Suggestions?

1.  Modify the pathnames in the ldmadmin(1) script; and/or

2.  Try executing the LDM server manually -- logging to standard error,
    e.g.,

        ./rpc.ldmd -vl- -q $HOME/data/ldm.pq $HOME/ldm-5/etc/ldmd.conf

    ; or

3.  Install version 6.3.0 of the LDM because it is perfectly
    compatible with upstream and downstream LDM-5 systems.

I could solve the problem much more quickly if I could log onto your
system as the LDM user.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson
LDM Developer