20050510: CONDUIT feed / GFS 00Z f000

Daryl,

Your laptop address was either strange or not on the list, so I think that is
why it bounced.

Anyhow, you can see what we received here for the 00Z GFS:
http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?raw/conduit/SL.us008001/ST.opnl/MT.gfs_CY.00/RD.20050510/PT.grid_DF.gr1
The above directory totals 23553530 bytes. The .status file for the f000 also
shows the same size:

/afs/.nwstg.nws.noaa.gov/ftp/SL.us008001/ST.opnl/MT.gfs_CY.00/RD.20050510/PT.grid_DF.gr1/
   fh.0000_tl.press_gr.onedeg complete (23553530 bytes) at Tue May 10 03:21:40
2005
   Inserted 23553530 of 23553530

I have a status generator which compares the directory contents with what was
stated to have been inserted
in the .status files that are in the data stream:
http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/statusgen?SL.us008001/ST.opnl/MT.gfs_CY.00/RD.20050510/PT.grid_DF.gr1/fh.0000_tl.press_gr.onedeg
That shows we got everything.

(see: http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/conduit_reception.csh for the top
level)

So, that shows that the data are in the system, and not a problem at the
source. So, the next thing to
look at is your volume plots and compare versus ours:

Motherlode:
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc1?CONDUIT+motherlode.ucar.edu+-b%2086400

Uni4 (who you are connected through idd.unidata.ucar.edu alias)
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc1?CONDUIT+uni4.unidata.ucar.edu+-b%2086400

The above 2 hosts both show there is a consistent 30GB per day inthe conduit
stream.

Pircsl4:
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc1?CONDUIT+pircsl4.agron.iastate.edu+-b%2086400

The above shows that Pircsl4 is only getting about 18GB perday, and very
consistent in that amount,
so likely not any temporary network trouble etc., and nothing new in the
pattern, so it seems very
well behaved. I see your request pattern is:
(RUC2/#252 |MT.(avn|gfs).*DF.gr1)
That would account for the volume being less than what we have to send you!

The pattern should be fine for the grid #003 f000, and your latency is
negligible:
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?CONDUIT+pircsl4.agron.iastate.edu

That means, the data is getting to you in good time. As a result, if you are
not seeing all the data on
your disk, then likely your pqact proccess is falling behind so that the data
is getting scoured
out of your queue before you get it processed. If necessary, I can send you
some code for your pq.c
routine that will flag when pqact falls behind.

So...things to look for:
Are you running multiple pqact processes, or a single? Splitting up the pqacts
shares the load so
they can process faster. Are you decoding the data in that pqact.conf file too,
or just FILE'ing
as gribs as shown below? Since it is the 00Z f000 time, it might be that your
system is particularly busy
around this time, so IO is the bottleneck (check decoding, scouring, archiving,
backups, disk space etc).
If nothing else, try creating a seperate pqact.conf just for the CONDUIT
"FILE" actions and
launch that separate pqact from ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support