Re: 20050621: LDM performance with FC3

Tom,

Thanks for the quick response.  Here's the answers:

1) 1Gb RAM
2) 2Gb swap
3) Queue size is now 2Gb, _but_ up until yesterday it was the default 400Mb, so I don't think that's the problem. I'll decrease it down to 800 or so, to make it smaller than memory (didn't realize that could be an issue). 4) Frequent connecting and disconnecting is most likely me (in the past week or two) and/or Karl stopping and starting - we're doing it a lot, trying to get a handle on this issue, to see if it really is the LDM that is causing the problems, or is simply making the problem manifest itself.

Feel free if you'd like to log in - through gate.comet.ucar.edu, then from there you can rlogin to oneu1 as you... I'll give you sudo privs if you like, so you can log in as "ldm" (I don't remember the password)

Thanks for the quick response - our new servers are 64 bit and we're trying to expediate their installation - waiting for rack hardware right now...

Tim

From address@hidden  Fri Jun 24 10:36:56 2005

Thanks to Tom, Gilbert, Dave, and Gerry for your input. It sounds like our kernel is not the issue - probably some sort of networking issue with our system.

Thanks again,

Tim

Comment:  the COMET machine apparently had a conflict in its setup for
its primary Ethernet interface.  Tim and another COMET system admin
were working on reconfiguring the interfaces on Friday, June 24.

Tom

More news:

From address@hidden  Wed Jun 29 15:03:01 2005

I wanted to follow up on this after speaking with Tom last week.

Karl found our problem - the machine was set up for "half-duplex"
networking apparently.  I guess that means 1/2 as fast... I can't really
explain it, but I'm sure Mike can...

We're up and running normally now.

Thanks for your time Tom!

Tim