20050808: LDM - Make Error.

>From: "Scott Swank" <address@hidden>

Hi Scott,

re:
>Institution: noaa
>Package Version: 6.3
>Operating System: Linux web1 2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue May 17 17:52:23 ED
> T 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>Hardware Information: Intel
>Inquiry: I am following the instructions for source code installation
>of ldm-6.3.0.tar.Z and encountered an error that means nothing to me.
>I have attached the relevant log.

Your log file snippit shows that the library needed by pqing, libldm.a,
was not created as it should have been, so it was not found:

"Making `install' in directory /shared/ldm/ldm-6.3.0/src/pqing
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `../libldm.a', needed by `pqing'.  Stop."

My suggestion is to try the build from scratch capturing the configure
and make output into separate log files so that if there is an error
you can send us all of the log messages.  Please review:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.3.0/basics/source-install-steps.html

Also, it appears that you are building the LDM as the user 'root'.  We
STRONGLY advise against doing this!!!  You should build the LDM as the
user 'ldm' in that user's HOME directory.

The standard steps to build and install the LDM are:

1) download:

anonymous FTP:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/ldm
  binary
  get ldm-6.3.0.tar.Z
  quit

2) unpack

<as 'ldm'>
zcat ldm-6.3.0.tar.Z | tar xvf -

3) configure

cd ~ldm/ldm-6.3.0/src
./configure

4) make

<while still in ~ldm/ldm-6.3.0/src>
make

5) make install

<while still in ~ldm/ldm-6.3.0/src>
make install

You perform the next step as 'root':

6) make install_setuids

<as 'root'>
cd ~ldm/ldm-6.3.0/src
make install_setuids

7) set/change the runtime link

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
rm -f runtime
ln -s ldm-6.3.0 runtime
ln -s runtime/* .

8) configure the LDM

- make any needed changes to ~ldm/etc/ldmadmin-pl.conf
- make any needed changes to ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf
- make any needed changes to ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf

9) (re) start the LDM

ldmadmin stop
ldmadmin start

Please let us know the results of your rebuild attempt.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas