Re: 20050824:ldm startup

Eric,

> To: Unidata Support <address@hidden>
> From: Eric Nelson <address@hidden>
> Subject: ldm startup.

> If I see the following when starting my ldm...
>
> hupsyslog: kill -HUP 3871: Permission denied
>
> does this mean that make install_setuids encountered a problem or was not
> executed as root?

Probably.  You can check via the command

    ls -l $LDMHOME/bin/hupsyslog

It should show that the file is owned by "root" and set-uid, e.g.,

    -rwsr-xr-x   1 root     ustaff     42640 Jun 30 08:11
/home/steve/ldm/package/bin/hupsyslog

> Supposedly the sysadmin executed make install_setuids
> since they don't like giving scientists root access.

If that step was skipped, then the files "hupsyslog" and "rpc.ldmd" will
still exist in the "bin/" subdirectory, but they won't be owned by root
or set-uid.

> Eric Nelson

> Research Applications Laboratory
> http://www.ral.ucar.edu
> address@hidden
> (303) 497-2838
>
> "I love deadlines.  I especially like the whooshing sound they make as
> they go flying by."     --Douglas Adams

Regards,
Steve Emmerson