20050912: LDM 64-bit system question

>From: "Smith, Matt" <address@hidden>

Hi Matt and Michael,

>   I have a question that I need to pass by you - regarding a new system
>here to replace the aging Dell we have as our LDM machine.  You may
>remember talking to Michael McEniry while Gerry and I were up there?

Yup.

>He's one of our SysAdmins...

>We have a Dell PowerEdge 2850 with dual 3 GHz Xeon "Nocona"
>processors, which allegedly have "extended memory 64-bit
>technology" (EM64T).

We have several of these boxes here at the UPC.

>Right now, it's running stock Red Hat
>Enterprise Linux 3 (AS, update 5, for i386), with packages
>kernel-2.4.21-32.0.1.EL and glibc-2.3.2-95.33.

OK.

>What should we do for LDM product queues larger than 2 GB on
>this computer?

Even though you could build an LDM that would support queues up
to 4 GB on this machine, I recommend upgrading to RHEL 4 or
Fedora Core 3 64-bit.  You not only get true 64-bit support, but
the Linux 2.6 kernel as well.

>Should we use a different edition of RHEL?

Yes.

>Should we use a different distribution of Linux?

We use Fedora Core at the UPC.  When we get questions from
Debian users, we have to stretch to understand what is going on.

>Do you know what software we can run to verify that this computer
>supports the proper 64-bit instruction set?

Sorry, no.  Dell should be able to confirm that the processors in
your box actually EM64T.