Re: 20051111: Need help on LDM setup

Jayne,

>Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 07:44:17 -1000
>From: "Jayne Hirakawa" <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20051111: Need help on LDM setup

> Does the mcidas areafiles on the server need to be in a specific
> directory?

By "server" I assume you mean the downstream LDM (i.e., the LDM that's
receiving the data-products).

The LDM imposes no constraints on the data directory-structure of the
downstream host (the host running the downstream LDM).  Such constraints
are usually imposed by the data-analysis and display packages that are,
subsequently, used to process the data.

> If not, does a path need to specified somewhere as to where
> the data directory resides?

By default, the pqact(1) process on the downstream host will have the
home directory of the LDM user as its current working directory.  The
standard structure for the LDM user has a "data" directory in the LDM
user's home directory into which the pqact(1) process often files the
data-products.

The processing of data-products on a downstream host for subsequent use
by the McIDAS package is significantly different, however, and you
should read the McIDAS documentation on this issue.

> Attached the ldmd.conf and pqact.conf files.
[snip]

LDM configuration-file on host "dude-pc":

    The entries

        ALLOW   ANY     ^gracie-pc.hfo.noaa.gov
        ACCEPT ANY ".*" ^gracie-pc.hfo.noaa.gov

    are better written as

        ALLOW   ANY             ^gracie-pc\.hfo\.noaa\.gov$
        ACCEPT  ANY     ".*"    ^gracie-pc\.hfo\.noaa\.gov$

    because the periods are literal and need to be escaped.

LDM configuration-file on host "gracie":

    The entry

        REQUEST ANY     ".*" dude-pc.hfo.noaa.gov PRIMARY

    is better written as

        REQUEST ANY     ".*" dude-pc.hfo.noaa.gov

    because the PRIMARY keyword is meaningless to LDM 6.4 and is ignored.

    The entry

        ACCEPT  ANY     ".*" dude-pc.hfo.noaa.gov

    is better written as

        ACCEPT  ANY     ".*" dude-pc\.hfo\.noaa\.gov

    because the periods are literal and need to be escaped.

pqact(1) configuration-file on host "gracie":

    The entries

        ANY     ^(IR_......_....)"      FILE    --overwrite data/save/IR/IRany
        EXP     ^(IR_......_....)"      FILE    --overwrite data/save/IR/IRexp
        ANY     ^IR_051111_2000         FILE    --overwrite /data/save/IR/IR2000

    are better written as

        ANY     ^IR_......_.... FILE    -overwrite      data/save/IR/IRany
        EXP     ^IR_......_.... FILE    -overwrite      data/save/IR/IRexp
        ANY     ^IR_051111_2000 FILE    -overwrite      data/save/IR/IR2000

    because

        1.  The parentheses are superfluous.

        2.  The product-identifier probably doesn't contain a quotation
            mark (").

        3.  The "-overwrite" option takes a single hyphen.

        4.  The directory into which to write the IR_051111_2000
            data-products is probably "data" rather than "/data".

    Note also that the various fields must be separated by tabs.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson