[LDM #GAH-289852]: LDM logging name tags

Hi Harry,

> The name change brings up a deficiency in the ldm logging.  Currently
> the ldm server log entries are tagged with the name of the upstream or
> downstream machine.  Now, with idd.unidata.ucar.edu,
> idd.wunderground.com and idd.geo.nsf.gov you have three machines whose
> log entries would have the same host name tag "idd".  If you had a feed
> from more that one of these machines it would be difficult to determine
> which one by looking at the logs.  I'm not sure what a good solution is
> other than tagging the entries with the completely qualified host
> name.

One could use the command

    fgrep '[<<pid>>]' `ls -rt $HOME/logs/ldmd.log*` | fgrep Starting

-- where <<pid>> is the process-ID obtained from a log message -- to associate
a log message with a particular LDM process.  Is this insufficient?

Alternatively, I could modify the code to further qualify the log messages by
changing the remote host name in them to a fully-qualified one.  This would,
necessarily, lengthen all the log messages (many, of which, are relatively long
already).  Given the above, easily-implemented workaround, which would you
prefer?

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: GAH-289852