[LDM #OZN-832885]: Re: 20060428: alternate feed

Chris,

> Our system admin guy wants to know about the following:
> -------------------
>
> I'm not sure why they need the pid of the syslog daemon. Perhaps they
> are trying to send it a HUP signal to restart the logs.

That's exactly right.  One step in "rotating" the LDM log files is to
send a SIGHUP to syslogd(8).

> We have been getting a message on startup about the LDM not being able
> to read syslogd.pid.  Can you tell my why we would receive the message
> and what the significance of it is?

The file "syslogd.pid" contains the PID of the syslogd(8) process.  That file
is read by the LDM hupsyslog(1) utility in order for that utility to send
a SIGHUP to the syslogd(8) process.  The pathname of that file is discovered
by the configure(1) script and saved in the file src/config/ldmconfig.h.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: OZN-832885
Department: Support LDM