[LDM #UGB-524529]: No LDM server running?

Andrew,

> My administrator is a little hesitant to disable SELINUX.  Are there
> permissions
> that we can give the ldm to user specifically instead of totally disabling
> SELINUX?

Undoubtably, SELINUX on Fedora Core 3 Linux can be configured to allow the LDM
to use the syslog(8) daemon to log to the LDM log file.  Unfortunately, we don't
know how to do that (we always just disable SELINUX).

One alternative would be to set the SELINUX variable to "permissive", which
would
log warning messages instead of preventing usage.  I think such a warning would
be
printed for every LDM log message, however.

Another alternative might be to create a directory for LDM log files in the
/var/log
directory and then link to it from the LDM user's home directory, e.g.,

    su -c 'mkdir /var/log/ldm'
    su -c 'chown ldm /var/log/ldm'
    ln -s /var/log/ldm ~ldm/logs

The 'ldmadmin newlog' command might not work in this case, however.

If you do learn how to configure the SELINUX package to allow the LDM to log to
its log file, then please let us know and we'll document it for others.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: UGB-524529
Department: Support LDM