[LDM #IWS-361333]: LDM syslog on RedHat EL/WS 4.4

Bob,

> We are running ldm-6.4.5 on a RedHat EL/WS 4.4 system.
>
> I have been searching the archives trying to find out why the syslog
> output is going to the /var/log/messages rather than
> /home/ldm/logs/ldmd.log .
>
> Despite making the suggested changes to /etc/syslog.conf, to point log
> output to $LDMHOME/logs (aka /home/ldm/logs/ldmd.log ) logging is till
> directed to /var/log/messages .
>
> From the archives It appears it might be an issue related to
> SELinux. I found a reference to FC3 that directs users to disable
> SELinux, is that what must be done to EL/WS as well? I'd prefer to
> have the rules which allow logging to occur with SELinux in enforce
> mode.

We don't have a RedHat EL/WS system, so we can't say for certain, but
it sure sounds like you're running into the SELinux problem.

Try temporarily disabling SELinux and sending syslogd(8) a
HUP signal (via hupsyslog(1)).  If the log messages then go
to the LDM log file, then you have your answer.

> Our /etc/syslog.conf is below.
> # Added by UNCA for ldm, 18 Sept 2006
> local0.none /dev/console
> # Updated by UNCA for ldm, 18 Sept 2006, RKB
> *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none,local0.none /var/log/messages
> # Added by UNCA for ldm, 18 Sept 2006
> local0.*                                              /home/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

The lines in your syslog(3) configuration-file are correct.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: IWS-361333
Department: Support LDM