[LDM #DYK-495848]: LDM - Future use of LDM for next generation GOES

Bevis,

> I was unsuccessfully located backup information from your web site, most
> likely do to my own inabilities, and was hoping that you would be able
> to answer the following questions.  If a Tier 3 user is getting
> information from a Tier 2 server and the Tier 2 server becomes
> unavailable, is there a automatic failover setting that the Tier 3
> server can do in order to pull data from another location?

We recommend that an LDM system request the same data from two
other LDM systems.  Then, if one of the sending systems fails,
the other system will supply the data.  Information on this feature
can be found at the following URL-s:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.4.6/basics/configuring.html#ldmd.conf
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.4.6/basics/behavior.html#downstream

Alternate-mode transmission uses much less bandwidth than
primary-mode transmission.

> Is there a
> setup at the Tier 2 server so that a backup LDM can be running on
> another set of HW waiting to take over?

We run a cluster of LDM-s to supply data requests.  Information on
this and general LDM clusters can be found at the following URL:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.4.6/basics/cluster.html

> How are failover scenarios
> handled under your current implementation?
>
> Thanks
> dan

Regards,
Steve Emmerson