[LDM #RKK-379892]: LDM logging and operation issues

Hi Evan,

I'll jump in quickly since Steve is not available this afternoon...

re:
> I am not sure you received my last email.  The mail server crashed here around
> the time I was sending that.  I will restate some observations and questions
> here.

We did receive your previous email.

> I tried the "notifyme" command you suggested and got the same exact error
> messages.  I also talked to the administrator of the upstream LDM and he
> assured me everything looked good on his side and nothing was changed in the
> config files.  My LDM is still not receiving upstream data.

Another possibility is that there was a firewall at the upstream's site that
is preventing access.

> This seemed to start when communication was established between 129.82.225.8
> and the downstream LDM 74.202.20.34.  Both ports 388 and 111 had to be opened
> to make this connection possible.  As a side question, do you know why port
> 111 would need to be opened as well?

The only reason that port 111 may have had to been opened is that the
installation
of the LDM on on or both machines was not complete.  As a review, the procedure
is:

- download the LDM distribution
- unpack the LDM distribution

cd ~ldm/ldm-6.6.5/src
./configure
make
make install
sudo make install_setuids       <- the last step that many sites fail to do as
it
                                   requires 'root' privilege

Without the last step, the LDM will not be able to connect to using port 388
(388 is a privileged port).  In this case, the LDM needs to use the portmapper
to get non-privileged port.  The portmapper is accessible through port 111.

Our _strong_ recommendation is to complete the LDM installation so that it
uses port 388.  Again, this needs to be done on both machines you refer to.

> So I really am lost here.  Any advice you have would be great.

If my hunch that the LDM(s) in question were not completely installed, then
things should start working when the last step (sudo make install_setuids)
is completed AND the LDM(s) are stopped and restarted.

> My feeling is
> a logical next step would be to start commenting out lines in the ldmd.conf
> file for 129.82.225.8?

I don't think that this will have any on your situation.

Steve may have asked this previously, so bear with me...  Would it be possible
for us to get logins to the two machines you are referring to?  It is likely
that we could spot what is causing your problem very quickly if we could
get onto your machine(s).

Ticket ID: RKK-379892
Department: Support LDM