[Support #TXN-293177]: LDM 6.6.5: make failure on Intel Mac (OS X 10.5)

Dave,

> Thanks to Mike for checking for other bug reports. Whether or not he
> finds any, it would be great if he could submit one for this case.
> Apple might or might not make fixing it a priority, but they certainly
> won't do anything about it if no one tells them about it! (I I
> wouldn't have much of a clue about what exactly to report,
> unfortunately.)

If we find a bug-reporting site that doesn't already mention this
and we can freely submit a report, then we will.

> Now that it appears possible to stop the LDM normally after it's hung,
> I can live with the bug for the time being. I'll write a script that
> runs periodically as a cron job (or rather, under Leopard, uses
> Launchd) to check to see if the data flow has stopped, and if so,
> stops and restarts the LDM.
>
> Is there some definitive diagnostic feature of the hung job that you
> can recommend that the script look for, other than the absence of
> expected data?

No mechanism for spotting a hung process springs to mind.  I only
noticed the hung process because a color-bar for it didn't appear
in Virga's "rtstats" page for IDS data.

The "dtruss" utility might work.  Hung processes, apparently,
print nothing.  It might require root privilege to execute,
however.  Mike?

> -- Dave

> *                                      |         __ __    \|/  *
> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                   | )   ^  /|| ||\  --0-- *
> *   Dept. of Geosciences               |) ) ^  / ||_|| \  /|\  *
> *   San Francisco State University     | ) )  /  | _ |  \      *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                 |)   )/   || ||   \     *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          | )   )   ||_||    \    *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716             |  )   )  || ||      \  *
> *   Email:  address@hidden   |  )  )  )  ~  ~   ~ ~  *

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: TXN-293177