[LDM #MQN-914275]: LDM Questions

Phil,

> Our server (twister.sbs.ohio-state.edu) was recently hacked and in
> order to shore up our security, we performed a fresh install of RedHat
> --  LDM and Gempak.  The good news: We've been able to receive data on
> the LDM, but we keep getting the following errors in our LDM log
> files....
> The errors seem to occur about once every 30-60 seconds.
>
> Mar 13 22:41:21 twister flood.atmos.uiuc.edu[22937] ERROR: readtcp():
> select() timeout on socket 4
> Mar 13 22:41:21 twister flood.atmos.uiuc.edu[22937] ERROR:
> one_svc_run(): RPC layer closed connection
> Mar 13 22:41:21 twister flood.atmos.uiuc.edu[22937] ERROR:
> Disconnecting due to LDM failure; Connection to upstream LDM closed
>
> Our configuration is essentially the same -- same IP, same upstream
> feeds, so I'm confused.  I read in the mailing list archives that this
> could be due to restricted bandwidth?  But, we didn't have the problem
> before...

The error messages indicate that a downstream LDM processes on
Twister was unable to receive any data from its upstream LDM
counterpart on flood.atmos.uiuc.edu within a reasonable time
period.  Have you contacted the LDM user at flood.atmos.uiuc.edu
to see what the corresponding messages are in the LDM log file?
If not, then would you please do so and send me the messages.

> Second question -- this one is probably easy:  How can I use ldmadmin
> pqactcheck to check other pqact files (i.e. gempak files) besides the
> default pqact.conf file.  Thanks for your help,

Use the "-p" option of the "ldmadmin pqactcheck" command:

    ldmadmin pqactcheck -p $HOME/etc/special_pqact.conf

This won't be necessary in the next LDM release as it will automatically
check all "pqact" configuration-files mentioned in the LDM configuration-
file, etc/ldmd.conf.

> Phil Birnie
> Webmaster
> Department of Geography