[LDM #KNR-472620]: request entry

Hi Mike,

I trust things are going well for you!?

re:
> Should the following entry work in ldmd.conf? It doesn't seem to.
> request CONDUIT
> "prod/gfs.*pgrb[^2].*(F000|F012|F024|F036|F048|F060|F072|F084|F096)"
> 30.65.97.148

The LDM utility 'notifyme' provides an excellent and easy way to test regular
expressions one wants to use in ldmd.conf and pqact.conf entries.  Here is
how to test and refine your regular expression:

<as 'ldm'>
notifyme -vxl- -f CONDUIT -h 30.65.97.148 -o 10000 -p
'prod/gfs.*pgrb[^2].*(F000|F012|F024|F036|F048|F060|F072|F084|F096)'

I just ran this using idd.unidata.ucar.edu as the upstream host (the '-h' flag)
and see no matches.  When this happens, the best approach is to drop back and
use simpler patterns:

notifyme -vxl- -f CONDUIT -h 30.65.97.148 -o 10000     <- see all product IDs

The try:

notifyme -vxl- -f CONDUIT -h 30.65.97.148 -o 10000 -p 'prod/gfs'

By the way, this returned nothing for me.  It could be that nothing was returned
since it is now 3Z and the CONDUIT GFS model data might already be
overwritten-from/aged
out of the LDM queue.  (It could also mean that this pattern does not match
anything (?)).

And so on.  The idea is to incrementally refine your '-p' pattern until you get
exactly the matches you want.  This approach also allows you to experiment with
different regular expressions that might match the same set of products you
want.

Remember, 'notifyme' is your friend :-)

> The entry:
> request CONDUIT  "prod/gfs.*pgrb[^2]"
> ...by itself does work

Since this did not work for me either, it must be the case that I am running
my 'notifyme' tests when no GFS data from CONDUIT is available in the LDM
queue of idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

> (Is there a more elegant way to do this?)

Once you get a regular expression that matches the set of product IDs that
you are interested, play with the regular expression in 'notifyme' invocations
with an eye on making the regular expression as simple as possible.  When
doing so, you should keep in mind that a '.*' at the end of a regular expression
is _never_ needed AND it results in much more work for the pattern matcher
(i.e.,
it increases overhead significantly).

> I'm helping someone feed data from my machine, rossby.

OK.  Try using 'notifyme' and incrementally refining the pattern you use once
you find one that selects the products you want.

> Thanks,

No worries.  Please let me know if you have questions about how best to use
'notifyme'.

Ticket ID: KNR-472620
Department: Support LDM