[LDM #YXF-858460]: Port assignments

Gary,

> In supporting LDM exchange over our WAN we appear to be having a problem
> with random/dynamic port assignments from a single LDM server, a la
> Active FTP, where there is some port assignment that keeps changing
> causing the Enterprise firewall to block traffic.   A quick review of
> your documentation doesn't really show that sort of port assignment for
> LDM (I only saw port 388).  Is dynamic port assignment an LDM feature
> and if so, do you have advise as to how manage it in a firewalled
> environment?

A downstream LDM (i.e., a process started as a result of a REQUEST
entry in the LDM configuration-file or as a result of starting
programs like "notifyme") connects to an upstream LDM process using
port 388 on the remote host and a system-assigned port on the local
host.  It should, therefore, be sufficient to have firewall rules
that allow locally-initiated TCP connections to port 388 on remote
hosts and that allow remotely-initiated TCP connections to port 388
on local hosts.

> Thanks

Regards,
Steve Emmerson