[LDM #YXG-369372]: FW: LDM Support and Future Enhancements

Joel,

> It has been a while so I hope you remember our conversation....

Indeed I do.

> I have been
> in contact with a pretty good Java programmer that we use for DCP

DCP?   Digital Cinema Package?  Disney Consumer Products?  Device Control
Protocol?  :-)

> acquisition.   He has shown interest in aiding in development, and has done
> great things for USACE in the past. Knowing the new version of the LDM is
> important to many, I am definitely seeking your involvement as well as the
> NWS as well...
>
> Can I get you on a conference call to discuss direction?

Sure.  I often work from home, so the call would have to be planned.  Also,
my supervisor, Tom Yoksas, would probably want in.

Got any times in mind?

> Here is what I am
> looking for initially:
>
> 1.  Migrate to Java
> 2.  Gui/Web app type config.
> 3.  XML config?  (more descriptive error reporting)
> 4.  Static config files similar to current LDM, with Dynamic in future
> release.
> 5.  SSL encryption capabilities for internal triagency communication.  Or for
> a overall security improvement.
> 6.  I would also be interested in trying to look at backwards compatibility
> with rcp driven ldm, but expect that to drive up costs exponentially.

Those are all very good ideas and, indeed, are part of the goals for
the next-generation LDM.  You should look at
<https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/unidata/Next-Generation+LDM>, particularly
the "Decisions" link.

> What do you think?
>

> Joel Asunskis, P.E.