[LDM #LXP-916564]: ldmping

Michael,

> We did run install setuids and that went well.  The s-bit is set.  The owner
> is ldm.

There's your problem.  The LDM program (bin/rpc.ldmd) needs to be owned by
"root" (which is accomplished by executing the "make install_setuids" command
as root).  This is necessary because port 388 is a well-known port and can only
be obtained by a program with superuser privileges (the LDM immediately
relinquishes those privileges after obtaining the port).  As a consequence of
being executed by root, the LDM server obtains a temporary, high-number port
from the O/S instead of port 388.  As a consequence of that, ldmping(1) won't
work.

Stop your LDM, go into the top-level source-directory, and execute the command
"make install_setuids" as root.  Verify that the LDM program (bin/rpc.ldmd) is
owned by root.  Then start your LDM and see if you can ldmping(1) it.

> We set uid:gid to ldm:ldm on everything in /usr/local/ldm and below.  I will
> double-check first thing a.m. To be sure, but we were pretty meticulous about
> the install in light of the problem.  I sure appreciate your assistance.
>
> Michael

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: LXP-916564