[LDM #QZR-407100]: Reverse DNS and LDM

Hi John,

re:
> Thanks for the rapid and informative response (on a weekend no less)...

No worries.  In fact, I am currently kibitzing in the LDM training workshop
that is being held here in our offices in Boulder.

> Now I have to figure out how to solve the issue a forward and reserve
> DNS is not possible on the machine I will be using for IDD... So I'll
> have to look at a way  to resolve the DNS and host name in a different
> manner....

When you use 'IDD', are you referring to the North American Internet
Data Distribution system that we maintain, or are you referring to
your own data distribution system?  If the answer is the latter, then
you can setup your system using only IP addresses.

> The way the routing is setup in the network environment where I lease
> space allows for an odd setup. While I have a static IP... If a reverse
> DNS is performed  you receive a strangely resolved host name with the
> static IP embedded. example:
>
> 67-20-79-154.leasingisp.com

This does not resolve here at the UPC.  For instance, here is the output
of 'nslookup' here at UCAR:

% nslookup 67-20-79-154.leasingisp.com
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

*** laraine.unidata.ucar.edu can't find 67-20-79-154.leasingisp.com:
Non-existent host/domain

But, there is forward and reverse DNS for 67-20-79-154.hostmonster.com:

% nslookup 67.20.79.154
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

Name:    67-20-79-154.hostmonster.com
Address:  67.20.79.154

% nslookup 67-20-79-154.hostmonster.com
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    67-20-79-154.hostmonster.com
Address:  67.20.79.154

> So maybe I would just use this as the forward fully resolved name since
> it automatically resolves on reverse DNS lookup. Rather than using
> www.domain.com
>
> Would this be a reasonable solve on the IDD?

67-20-79-154.hostmonster.com is resolvable; 67-20-79-154.leasingisp.com is not.

Again, we need to know if you are trying to set things up to work with
the IDD we manage, then having forward/reverse DNS is _highly_ desired.
If you are setting up your own relay network, it is useful, but not
mandatory.

Ticket ID: QZR-407100
Department: Support LDM