[LDM #DHD-802401]: Two Questions: LDM on Mac OSX 10.5.x and sample/example pqact.conf

Matt,

> I have questions regarding use of LDM on a Mac OSX 10.5.x and a question
> about the availability of sample/example pqact.conf
>
> First, with regards to routinely running LDM on Mac OSX 10.5.x, Tom Yoksas
> and I have talked about how it is known that LDM hangs after a while due to a
> known bug in Mac OSX 10.5.x that has been reported to Apple, but Apple has
> not really replied or indicated it would fit it. The suggestion from Tom to
> work around the bug was to schedule LDM to be restarted once a day to avoid
> the error.  However, I am finding that every so many days, when I schedule
> cron to do an "ldmadmin restart" that the restart fails, due to the inability
> to successfully stop LDM....so I'm guessing that LDM is already hung at that
> point, and it is too late for the restart to completely avoid this problem.
> Having LDM restarted twice a day still doesn't avoid this problem.  As noted,
> it happens after a few days or so ( about maybe 4 or 5 days or even a week?).
>  Do you have any other suggestions?  We can live with this - the hard part is
> that LDM is hung up enough you have kill ldmd (there is two of them
  - that is a part of or a sign of the problem, right?) manually, ldmadmin
clean, then fix up the product queue, and the ldmadmin start.

When a downstream LDM process hangs, an "ldmadmin stop" or "ldmadmin restart"
won't work due to the hung process.  The only way I've found to restart a hung
downstream LDM is to attach to the process via the debugger (gdb) and then
immediately exit the debugger.  For some reason this restarts the process.  I
haven't tried to implement this as an automatic script.

> Second, has Unidata any recommendations for the automatic shutdown and
> restart of LDM on power off and power on/reboot of a Mac system?  I am
> familiar with how it is done on a Linux Sun Solaris systems,  but didn't know
> if there was a method recommended or even known on Mac OSX 10.5.x

There is the example, boot-time script
<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/configuring.html#boot>.
  This can be used to start the LDM at boot-time and may be modified as desired.

> The last question has to do with example/sample pqact.conf for various
> traditional IDD data feeds.  My use of LDM has been in  my other job at
> University of Wisconsin, and the Antarctic-IDD.  This will be my first
> exploration with feeds like UNIWISC, NIMAGE, etc.  Are there any sample
> pqact.conf around for filing/organizing data on a server system? (such as
> placing say GINI data out for an ADDE server to grab it, for example).  Any
> suggestions are welcome, otherwise, I'll play and fiddle around (part of the
> fun of LDM....)

I'll leave this question for others who know more about the data than I do to
answer.

> Thank you all so kindly!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>

> Matthew A. Lazzara - Part Time Adjunct Faculty
> Department of Physical Sciences - Arts and Sciences Center
> Madison Area Technical College
> 3550 Anderson Street (Mailbox #1026), Madison WI 53704
> E-mail: address@hidden
> Web: http://faculty.matcmadison.edu/mlazzara
> Voice Mail: (608) 243-4555 ext 8946 (4555 ext 8946 on campus)

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: DHD-802401
Department: Support LDM