[LDM #TMA-441215]: Beta test 6.9?

Gilbert,

> Notes to myself:
>
> Hmmm. Build environments tested. No 64 bit. Steve says it will work on 32
> bit. Hmmm, he hasn't tested it on CentOS 5.5, which is what wil happen
> here. I wonder if I smell a Monday coming on here. Hope this works.
>
> Login environment...didn't have to change a thing. So far, so good.
>
> I'm going to back up everything in my /home/ldm/etc directory.
> I don't want to lose anything. Just in case! ...done.
>
> Huh. Weird unzip command. What's this pax command all about?

pax(1) is the UNIX standard unpacking utility. It replaces both tar(1) and
cpio(1). It's capable of modifying file pathnames, which is used to put the
source-files in the "ldm-6.9.0.4/src" directory.

> Dunno, but
> here we go.
>
> gunzip -c ldm-6.9.0.4.tar.gz | pax -r '-s:/:/src/:'
> OK, that was fast.
>
> cd /home/ldm/ldm-6.9.0.4/src
>
> Ha! Love that config.guess file. Forecasting in winter is like that
> sometimes.
>
> ./configure with all these options afterwards? Gonna just do it without
> the options and see where that gets me.
>
> Asked me for root password, as warned. OK, done. That was fast.
>
> Hmmm, changed my mind. Erased ldm-6.9.0.4, started over and used:
>
> ./configure --localstatedir=/dev/shm

I take it you want the product-queue to be on a ramdisk.

> Now it's time to install.
>
> make install >make.log 2>&1
>
> Ambiguous output redirect.

You must be using a non-standard user-shell (e.g., csh(1), tcsh(1)). The
instructions say to use the command "make install >&! make.log" if using csh(1)
or tcsh(1).

> [...]
> testapi.c:346: warning: âdes_unsigned_long_ptrâ defined but not used
> testapi.c:390: warning: âgen_debug_FILE_ptrâ defined but not used
> testapi.c:393: warning: âdes_debug_FILE_ptrâ defined but not used
> testapi.c:763: warning: âdesret_doubleâ defined but not used
> testapi.c:12199: warning: âgen_char_ptr_ptrâ defined but not used
> testapi.c:12202: warning: âdes_char_ptr_ptrâ defined but not used
> testapi.c:13137: warning: âgen_const_char_ptr_ptrâ defined but not used
> testapi.c:13140: warning: âdes_const_char_ptr_ptrâ defined but not used
> testapi.c:25914: warning: âgen_xmlElementContent_ptrâ defined but not used
> testapi.c:25917: warning: âdes_xmlElementContent_ptrâ defined but not used
> runsuite.c: In function âmainâ:
> runsuite.c:1183: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
> runxmlconf.c: In function âmainâ:
> runxmlconf.c:614: warning: unused parameter âargcâ
> runxmlconf.c:616: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
> testWriter.c: In function âtestXmlwriterFilenameâ:
> testWriter.c:163: warning: format â%010dâ expects type âintâ, but argument
> 4 has type âlong intâ
> testWriter.c: In function âtestXmlwriterMemoryâ:
> testWriter.c:442: warning: format â%010dâ expects type âintâ, but argument
> 4 has type âlong intâ
> testWriter.c: In function âtestXmlwriterDocâ:
> testWriter.c:712: warning: format â%010dâ expects type âintâ, but argument
> 4 has type âlong intâ
> testWriter.c: In function âtestXmlwriterTreeâ:
> testWriter.c:978: warning: format â%010dâ expects type âintâ, but argument
> 4 has type âlong intâ
> /usr/bin/install: cannot stat `./*.html': No such file or directory
> make[4]: [install-data-local] Error 1 (ignored)
> ldm_xdr.c: In function âxdr_feedparâ:
> ldm_xdr.c:235: warning: passing argument 2 of âxdr_referenceckâ from
> incompatible pointer type
> ldm_xdr.c: In function âxdr_comingsoon_argsâ:
> ldm_xdr.c:289: warning: passing argument 2 of âxdr_referenceckâ from
> incompatible pointer type
> ldm_xdr.c: In function âxdr_datapktâ:
> ldm_xdr.c:307: warning: passing argument 2 of âxdr_referenceckâ from
> incompatible pointer type
> ldm_xdr.c: In function âxdr_datapktdâ:
> ldm_xdr.c:326: warning: passing argument 2 of âxdr_referenceckâ from
> incompatible pointer type
> ldm_xdr.c: In function âxdr_ldm_replytâ:
> ldm_xdr.c:368: warning: passing argument 2 of âxdr_referenceckâ from
> incompatible pointer type
> ldm_xdr.c:372: warning: passing argument 2 of âxdr_referenceckâ from
> incompatible pointer type
> ldm_xdr.c:376: warning: passing argument 2 of âxdr_referenceckâ from
> incompatible pointer type
> ldm_xdr.c:380: warning: passing argument 2 of âxdr_referenceckâ from
> incompatible pointer type
> ldm_xdr.c: In function âxdr_fornme_reply_tâ:
> ldm_xdr.c:428: warning: passing argument 2 of âxdr_referenceckâ from

Yeah. There are certain warnings in the "libxml2" and XDR packages that I can't
eliminate.

> LdmProxy.c: In function âlp_newâ:
> LdmProxy.c:689: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
> pqcopy.c: In function âcopyProductâ:
> pqcopy.c:70: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target
> type
> pqutil.c: In function âmainâ:
> pqutil.c:1310: warning: initialization discards qualifiers from pointer
> target type

I think I can eliminate these warnings. Thanks.

> The next step will perform those installation actions that must be
> executed by the superuser.  If this step doesn't work (for example,
> if you don't know root's password), then the superuser will have to
> manually execute the command "make root-actions".
>
> Enter root's password:

> Typed in root's password, and then I was back out to prompt.
>
> Configuring the ldm. blah blah, yes, I know all of this, because I have
> prior installation. But, new users will obviously need this.

I pray you're being facetious. :-)  Those new instructions are crucial.

> Oooh, metrics. What's that? Need to learn more. Will add it to crontab
> now. Like that new LDM check option. I'll set it for once every 30
> minutes. Wait. I use "tcsh" for LDM.

Unless your crontab(1) file is non-standard, the cron(8) daemon *should* use
"sh(1)" to execute all entries. At least, that's what the standard demands.

> It says the LDM user must use bash.
> But, I have bash installed, so let's see if the crontabs still work
> anyway.
>
> Huh. Says I have errors. Doesn't say what.. OK, try "/bin/bash" to the
> path for bash. Nope:
>
> crontab: installing new crontab
> "/tmp/crontab.XXXXsmjmiU":21: bad day-of-week
> errors in crontab file, can't install.
> Do you want to retry the same edit?
>
> That would be this line:
>
> 2,32 * * * bash -l -c 'bin/ldmadmin check >/dev/null'
>
> OK, weird. Commented out for now. Now the crontab is happy.

You need 5 fields before the command; you only have 4.

> Already have my own ldm start script. I'm good there.
>
> OK, time to make the queue
>
> ldmadmin mkqueue
>
> Wait, that made the queue in /home/ldm/data/ldm.pq.
> I wanted it in /dev/shm!
>
> OK, stopping now while I figure out why that happened,
> after I specified the option in the ./configure
> command.
>
> Reverting to 6.8.1, for now. Awaiting Steve to answer this question.

If you install in a pre-existing, pre-6.9 LDM user account, then the configure
script will notice that and use the existing "~/data" subdirectory for the
product-queue (just like the pre-6.9 releases) rather than the value of the
"localstatedir" variable ("~/var" by default). I thought I was being clever.

Check to see that's what happened by executing the command
"~/ldm-6.9.0.4/bin/regutil | grep queue". I expect the pathname of the
product-queue will start with "$HOME/data".

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: TMA-441215
Department: Support LDM