[LDM #RKN-706804]: gpnexr2_gif question

Hi Gerry,

> I'm trying to improve my efficiency, and was revisiting the pqact.conf
> page
> (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.4.6/basics/pqact.conf.html).
> After re-reading this I'm wondering if using PIP in place of a FILE,
> then an EXEC, to create Level II products, might be more efficient. If I
> were to PIPE the data to gpnexr2_gif instead of writing it to disk, then
> EXECing a script, how could I get the additional params into gpnexr2_gif
> to get the special formatting we're using?

The PIPE entry does allow the executed program to have arguments. The arguments
can be based on the product's product-identifier and, consequently, different
for each invocation. As doing this could lead to a plethora of outstanding
programs all waiting for more input, using the "-close" option might be a good
idea. This might be slightly more efficient than a FILE and EXEC pair but I
wouldn't bet the farm on it.

> Thanks, gerry
> --
> Gerry Creager -- address@hidden
> Texas Mesonet -- AATLT, Texas A&M University
> Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983
> Office: 1700 Research Parkway Ste 160, TAMU, College Station, TX 77843

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: RKN-706804
Department: Support LDM