[NOAAPORT #TMS-952954]: ldm questions

Randy,

> I have been noticing that our noaapxcd machine is not getting data routinely
> from our upstream noaapnew box.
>
> I am enclosing several log files from today. Do you see anything that stands
> out.

The log file for the LDM on Noaapxcd contains many entries like this:

> Jan 12 07:46:06 noaapxcd noaapnew.it-protect.com[12830] ERROR: readtcp():
> select() timeout on socket 4

This indicates that the downstream LDM on Noaapxcd was unable to obtain a
complete message from the LDM on Noaapnew within 30 seconds -- indicating a
problem with either the LDM on Noaapnew, or Noaapnew, or the network between
them.

The log file also contains entries like this:

> Jan 12 16:12:53 noaapxcd noaapnew.it-protect.com[12830] ERROR: Disconnecting
> due to LDM failure; Couldn't connect to LDM on noaapnew.it-protect.com using
> either port 388 or portmapper; : RPC: Program not registered

This indicates that the LDM on Noaapxcd was unable to contact the LDM on
Noaapnew using the LDM's well-known port number of 388 (a serious problem) and
that the LDM on Noaapnew wasn't registered with the Portmapper on Noaapnew (a
not-so-serious problem *if* the LDM on Noaapnew is listening on port 388).

Does the log-file for the LDM on Noaapnew have anything to say?

Offhand, I'd say that there's a problem with the network between the two
systems. What does a traceroute(1) show?

> thanks,
> Randy

Regards,
Steve Emmerson