[LDM #YNE-961543]: Configuring ldm for use in user-space

Hi Gerry,

re: running LDM as a regular user with no 'setuid root' capability

I thought I would throw in my $0.02 worth...

One could brute force the logging issue as follows:

- setup your LDM to write to ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log (which should be a link
  to ~ldm/var/logs/ldmd.log for new versions of the LDM)

- create a script whose purpose in life is to:

  - stop the LDM

  - rotate the LDM log file; meaning to rename ldmd.log.6 to ldmd.log.7,
    ldmd.log.5 to ldmd.log.6, ... ldmd.log to ldmd.log.1

    This is easily done by 'ldmadmin newlog [-n numlogs] [-l logfile]'.

  - start the LDM

- run the script from cron at the desired interval (once per day, once every
  other day, etc.)

As Steve said, syslogd is used since 'root' can send it a HUP signal that
results in its closing all of its open files; rereading its
configuration file; and then opening up needed files.  This makes LDM
log file rotation very easy to do.  It is also the reason that 'hupsyslog'
is given 'setuid root' privilege.

The above approach could be used by sites that use a version of *nix that
does not run syslogd (e.g., OpenSUSE, Debian, Ubuntu which run syslog-ng).

Ticket ID: YNE-961543
Department: Support LDM