[LDM #BRX-484783]: Error with syslogd and logging daemon

Vivian,

> Here is the output you asked for below.  We run this as a user for the NWS
> project.  It has always worked as this user.  Initially I install it as ldm
> then change it to the fxa user.
> Thanks, --Vivian
>
> $ ls -l /var/run/syslogd.pid
> -rw------- 1 root root 5 Aug  3 17:01 /var/run/syslogd.pid
>
> $ ls -l bin/hupsyslog
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 fxa fxalpha 11199 Aug  3 15:49 bin/hupsyslog

There's the problem: the hupsyslog(1) utility must be owned by "root" and have
the setuid bit enabled in order for it to communicate with the system logging
daemon (the same is also true for the LDM server, "bin/ldmd").

The solution should be to execute the command "make root-actions" as the LDM
user in the top-level source-directory of the installation. Root's password
will have to be entered.

> --
> Vivian LeFebvre
> NOAA/ESRL/GSD