[LDM #VWJ-362177]: ldm will not start - hupsyslog issue?

Chris,

> I've kind of going backwards.  When I tried the ldmadmin newlog command, I
> got the same error message.  When you suggested sending you the ldmadmin
> file, I noticed that there had been a previous distribution of the LDM on
> our server, and it appeared to me that only selected files/directories were
> overwritten.  So I completely blew everything away and started from scratch.

In that case, you should verify which ldmadmin(1) utility you're getting and
verify the PATH that's printed by "ldmadmin config" (to make sure you're
getting the right newlog(1) and hupsyslog(1) utilities).

> Which brings me back to this point:
>
> (blizzard) /home/ldm > ldmadmin start
> The product-queue is OK.
> Checking pqact(1) configuration-file(s)...
> /home/ldm/etc/pqact.conf: syntactically correct
> hupsyslog: kill -HUP 1810: Permission denied
> new_log(): Couldn't notify system logging daemon
> start_ldm(): Couldn't rotate log files

> (blizzard) /home/ldm > ldmadmin newlog
> hupsyslog: kill -HUP 1810: Permission denied
> new_log(): Couldn't notify system logging daemon

The error-messages from "ldmadmin start" and "ldmadmin newlog" would seem to
indicate that the hupsyslog(1) utility either isn't owned by "root", isn't
setuid, the operating-system doesn't honor the setuid bit on that disk
partition if the program is owned by "root" (which you say is no longer the
case), or SELINUX isn't disabled.

Would you please send me the output of the command "ls -l bin/hupsislog". It
should indicate that the file is owned by "root" and has the setuid bit enabled.

Is there any chance I could log onto the system in question as the LDM user?

> I have verified that the change you suggested previously (nosetuids) was
> still good, so I am pretty confused as to what is happening.  The 'ldmadmin
> config' gives the same output.
>
> I've attached $HOME/bin/ldmadmin just in case.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>
> --
>
> Dr. Christopher C. Hennon