[LDM #YVG-914431]: Build Problems for LDM 6.11.2 on Ubuntu Server 12.04

Jay,

> I tried doing the clean install last Friday with the same bad results.
>
> This morning, I came in and decided to try the install on a very new and
> very clean Xubuntu 12.04 virtual machine I have. I had not done any
> software compiling there. So, I installed the build-essentials package,
> created and configured an ldm user, then ran configure and make install. Lo
> and behold, it worked!
>
> So, I now knew definitively that I had something wrong with my build
> environment on both my Ubuntu Server 12.04 and Kubuntu 12.04 setups. After
> a bit of trial and error, I have come to the conclusion that the problem
> was that I had a package called binutils-gold installed in addition to the
> traditional binutils package. Apparently the "new and improved" linker in
> the binutils-gold package is still very buggy.
>
> I wish I knew why I installed the binutils-gold package in the first place.
> I think it was probably suggested as a recommended package when I did the
> binutils install. That's the only reason I can come up with.
>
> I want to thank you both again for your help with my problem. Your input
> helped me to finally stumble across the solution. A weekend away from the
> problem probably didn't hurt either.

Congratulations on finding the problem.

"It's the compiler's fault!" is one of the oldest excuses in the book for why
something doesn't work. It should be treated with the almost total disdain that
it deserves.

Sometimes, however, it is the compiler's fault.

Good luck. Contact us if you have further problems.

> Cheers,
>
> Jay

Regards,
Steve Emmerson