[LDM #PAK-897870]: LDM 6.11.6 Install: /etc/syslog.conf

Alan,

This is the first time I've heard of "/etc/syslogs.conf". What operating-system
is this? What is the output of the command "ps -ef | grep syslog"?

I recommend the creation of the symbolic link "/etc/syslog.conf" to
"/etc/syslogs.conf".

I don't know of any working LDM installation that wasn't installed by root. The
package requires superuser privileges to work correctly (using the system
logging daemon, binding to port 388, etc.).

The LDM is used by NASA, NOAA, USGS, and the US military (Army, Navy, and Air
Force). Have your systems administrators contact me if they have a problem with
it.

> I do not have the root password and the ldm account is a non-password
> account.  During the install, the error:
>
> configure: error: system logging configuration-file not found or not
> readable
>
> shows up.  There is an /etc/syslogs.conf, but the permissions do not allow
> anyone but root to read this.  My admin folks will never open up the perms,
> so how do I install the new version without root?
>
> Thanks!
> Alan.
>

> --
>
> Alan D. Hall
> IT Project Manager
> Remote Sensing and Applications Division (RSAD)
> National Climatic Data Center
> 151 Patton Ave.
> Asheville, NC 28801-5001
> address@hidden