[LDM #QLN-586184]: Installation Machine Questions

Arturo,

Data-products reside in the LDM product-queue for a limited amount of time
(typically on the order of an hour). In order to use the data-product, a
pqact(1) process must be configured to extract them and either FILE them to a
disk or PIPE them to an LDM decoder (which could file them to a disk or do
something else). The size of the disk necessary to hold all the FILEed
data-products depends on the rate at which the data-products are FILEed and how
long you want to hold onto them. The webpage
<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/siteindex?emo.unidata.ucar.edu>
can give you an idea of how much data each feed contains. Multiply the rate of
data by how long you want to have it available to arrive at a minimum disk size.

> I attended the last LDM training with you last August. We are getting ready
> to order our machine for installation of LDM and TDS.I am still a little
> confused about the difference of the LDM queue size requirements VS permanent
> storage of data once extracted from queue. We can set the size limit of the
> queue which resides on local hard drive. Can the data extracted from the
> queue be written local storage array to reduce the size of the local hard
> drive? This brings me to a second question. What do you recommend for the
> size of the local hard drive where CentOS is to be installed if we consider
> our department a small unit and will be ingesting a limited number of feeds.
> I know it's a difficult question to answer without specific details, but I am
> just trying to get an idea of the hardware configuration for the server we
> need to order based on your experience with other installations.
> Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.
>
> P       Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>

> [cid:tamiu-banner.jpg@5686e392e0e54868a019423dd2a15efa]
>
> ________________________________
> [cid:poweredbytamiu.png@892dde8c82ee484aa10cbcffd3bb9cda]
>
> Arturo  Diaz, Jr.