[LDM #XIP-610331]: repeated imuxsock messages in system log

Hi Vivian,

re:
> I have requested support before in installing LDM 6.11.6 on a redhat 6 system
> "with-noaaport".  I finally succeeded with your help, but now have a logging
> problem.

OK.

re:
> 1. It appears from the logs that /data_store needs to be created to hold the
> ingested
>    data.  I did this and will now put in a cron to keep it under control.  I
> did not see
>    this anywhere in the directions and saw from the logs this is what it was
> trying to
>    do.
>
>    Did I make the correct assumption.

Where LDM pattern-action file actions will write to disk is a function of how
one sets up those pattern-action files.  The LDM does not have any preconceived
notion of where files should be written to disk.  In fact, LDMs don't need to
write to disk at all (other than to the LDM product queue).

I am guessing that all references to /data_store come from the package you
are trying to run, and that is AWIPS-II.

Are you asking for help in setting up AWIPS-II data ingest?  If yes, that is
a question best posed to address@hidden, not address@hidden.

re:
> 2. I corrected permission problems in /usr/local/ldm/logs which was owned by
> root:root
>    which kept from the logs logging here.

Very good.  The LDM log files really should be owned by the 'ldm' user.

re:
>    They seemed to clutter the system logs.

??? LDM logging messages will be sent to the LDM and system log files if the
SELINUX setting being used is permissive:

/etc/selinux/config

SELINUX=permissive

We recommend using the 'disabled' setting instead of 'permissive' or
'enforcing':

SELINUX=disabled

NB: changes made to /etc/sysconfig/config will take effect after a reboot, not
before.

re:
>    Now that I changed the permissions to ldm:ldm, it works better.

Very good.

re:
>    I still have the
>    following error in my system logs and want to know if I just need to
> change the
>    timing to something large or is it configured incorrectly?
>
>    I did some searching and it seemed like this version was to correct this
> problem.
>

> Mar  3 19:43:22 awips-ldmcp2 rsyslogd-2177: imuxsock begins to drop messages
> from pid 9200 due to rate-limiting
> Mar  3 19:43:24 awips-ldmcp2 rsyslogd-2177: imuxsock lost 158 messages from
> pid 9200 due to rate-limiting
> Mar  3 19:43:24 awips-ldmcp2 rsyslogd-2177: imuxsock begins to drop messages
> from pid 9200 due to rate-limiting

The imuxsock logging rate limiting appears to be something that one has to setup
themselves on Linux systems using current versions of rsyslog.  We do not turn
on logging rate limiting on our systems, so we are not familiar with the type of
messages that you included above.

Question:

- did you or someone else at GSD setup imuxsock rate limiting in
/etc/rsyslog.conf?

  If yes and the person was not you, you should contact him/her to find out
  what to do next.

re:
> Thanks again ,--Vivian

No worries.  Sorry we couldn't be of more help, but the things you are running
into are outside of the LDM per se.

Ticket ID: XIP-610331
Department: Support LDM