[LDM #UGW-684103]: LDM Server Not Starting

Warren,

> I think I solved the problem.
>
> First here is the terminal output:
>
> grep '^SELINUX' /etc/selinux/config
> grep: /etc/selinux/config: No such file or directory

Then, you're not running SELINX (which is good).

> I have been checking out the actual ldmadmin perl script and tracked the code
> from the actual error message returned (line 690). The two variables, ip
> address and pid_file were referenced and used for the actual ldmd command,
> which had led me to believe that the ldmd utility wasn't recognizing the IP
> address because it could only detect our local IP address, not the external
> IP. So using the regutil, I swapped the IP addresses and it seems to be
> working now.
>
> Would having to set the IP address to a local one adversely affect the
> utility somehow?

The "/server/ip-addr" registry parameter is the IP address of the interface on
which the LDM server should listen. Consequently, it must be visible to the LDM
program. The default (and overwhelmingly the most common situation) is to have
the LDM server listen on all interfaces by setting its value to "0.0.0.0".

Unless you have good reason not to, you should set the IP address of the
interface to "0.0.0.0".

> Backtracking the error is probably rule #1 with these sorts of issues, and
> thus should have been my first move, thus I apologize and hope it wasn't a
> waste of time for you.

It wasn't a waste. I learn something new every time. :-)

> Thanks,
>
> Warren Pettee
> Undergraduate - Meteorology
> Department of Geography and Earth Sciences
> University of North Carolina at Charlotte
> 9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28223
> address@hidden | 336.257.9239

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: UGW-684103