[LDM #YGF-727428]: LDM at NOAA

Hi Russ,

I'm jumping to answer one of the questions you posed in your email:

> Is LDM-Mcidas an additional portion of LDM that I also will need to install?

ldm-mcidas is _not_ part of the LDM.  It is a set of decoders for products
delivered by the LDM (e.g., wind profiler, lightning, PNG-compressed satellite
imagery, zib-compressed satellite imagery, etc.) whose "decoded" output can
be used in McIDAS (all of the types referenced) or other applications that
understand imagery in uncompressed GINI and AREA formats (e.g., WXP and others).
Unidata GEMPAK and McIDAS-X understand how to read satellite imagery in
PNG and zlib compressed formats, so "decoding" images in these formats is
unnecessary (but useful if the images are ever to be used by other
applications).  FYI: we PNG-compress the single banded
images that we distribute in the Unidata-Wisconsin IDD datastream
(feed type UNIWISC aka MCIDAS); the images broadcast in the NOAAPort SBN
and relayed in the IDD NIMAGE feed are zlib-compressed.

If you don't need/want these decoding capabilities, then there is no need
to install the ldm-mcidas package.

Ticket ID: YGF-727428
Department: Support LDM