[LDM #ZPO-566708]: Cannot get logging to work on LDM 6.11.6

Hi Gilbert,

re:
> The headline says it all...it's new machine weather3.admin.niu.edu
> that has this issue. That dreaded cabal selinux is disabled, but WAS
> enabled by accident until I shut it off and rebooted it, relabeling
> everything.

"relabeling everything"?  What do you mean by this?

re:
> But still, it won't go, despite the rsyslog entry telling it to.
>
> Any ideas?

Here are some ideas:

- verify that SELINUX is indeed disabled:

  <as 'root'>
  sestatus

- verify that the 'local0.*' entry in the system logging daemon
  configuration file specifies the correct location for the LDM
  log file

- make sure that the LDM log file is owned by 'ldm', not 'root'

  If it is owned by 'root', ldm will not be able to rotate it.
  If it is currently owned by 'root', delete it and recreate it
  ('touch') as 'ldm'.

- forcibly restart the system logging daemon

  For instance:

  <as 'root'>
  service rsyslog restart

- after restarting the system logging daemon, test to see
  that logging is working using 'logger':

  <as 'ldm'>
  logger -p local0.debug 'test of LDM logging'

Since you said that you disabled SELINUX and rebooted, I wouldn't
think that a forced restart of the system logging daemon would be
needed, but I have seen instances where the system was not rebooted
and forcing a restart of the system logging daemon did the trick.

Ticket ID: ZPO-566708
Department: Support LDM