[LDM #EFY-891334]: Questions about memory management and the LDM

Mike,

Your intended use of the LDM sounds unusual and it's not clear that the path
you're on will achieve success.

UNAVCO is only 9 minutes away from my office. Can you come here or may we come
there to discuss the matter?

> Steve, the reason I’m trying this out is because we’re having issues with LDM
> in Solaris consuming all the available system memory.  At times it won’t
> release pages to free memory when the server needs it.  I’m testing to see if
> LDM can meet the product demands and balance memory requirements.
>
> I’m curious to know what your implying by not as efficient.  The PQ is on a
> local drive and the IO demands aren’t that high in the current configuration
> running LDM 6.4.5 in memory mapped mode.  The PQ is set a 20G and with that
> size it consumes all but around 200M of system memory.  I’m working on
> downsizing the PQ based on file retention but management wants to keep a
> couple of days of products so that if there is a problem with data transfer
> we have data continuity.  In our configuration we are transferring a few
> files an hour on the order of 400 per day, with a file size approximately 1MB
> on average but up to 3.8G at the max.  It’s not a high rate mover and barely
> a high volume so I’m trying to balance memory demand on the server with LDM
> performance.  My current test is to compile without MMAP, tune the PQ to 4G
> and run about 1200 PQ slots to see how this performs with file transfer for
> the rest of the week.
>
> If you have any other suggestions on best practices to accomplish an
> efficient mover within the requirements to keep data retention for a few
> days, I’ll put them on my test list to see where this takes me.  Thanks for
> the feedback.
> -Mike

Regards,
Steve Emmerson