[LDM #VEG-972407]: LDM installation

Hi,

re:
> I am quite new to the world of Local Data Manager. I would like to know
> exactly what to do in order to run LDM on my machine.  I read the LDM
> platform requirements, but it is not detailed enough for me to understand
> it all.

Here is a quick overview:

- first, your *nix (Unix/Linux) machine has to be configure well enough to
  run the LDM and ingest and process the data that you want to REQUEST
  from one or more upstream feed sites

  This is covered in the platform requirements

- register with the Unidata website

- download, unpack, build, and install the LDM

  This is covered in installation from source section of our LDM web pages.

- arrange with one or more upstream sites to feed you the data you
  want

  Of course, if your LDM is the source of data that is to be fed/relayed
  to one or more downstream machines, you will not need upstream(s).

- if you configure your LDM to REQUEST data from one or more upstream
  sites, you will likely want to process the products received in some
  way

  Exactly what you would need to do will depend on exactly what data
  your machine will receive and what you want to do with it.

- after you have configure your LDM to process data, presumably to disk,
  you will need to setup some mechanism to scour data that is no longer
  needed/wanted

That is basically the very high level overview of what is needed to get
an LDM setup on one's machine.  Anything more detailed will depend on
a variety of factors that include, but are not limited to how well
configured your machine is; for how long you want to keep the products
you process; and what your processing desires are.  Each LDM installation
can be quite different from other ones.

Ticket ID: VEG-972407
Department: Support LDM