[LDM #DRV-310603]: -close switch

Erik,

By default, the FILE action appends the data-product to the designated file. The
"-close" option causes the pqact(1) process to close the associated file
descriptor. This should ensure that all data is actually written to disk (the
"-flush" option should do the same but will leave the file descriptor open).
Thus,
the benefit of using the "-close" option is a lower risk of losing data at the
cost of increased overhead if the same file must be opened later.

Because local processing of data-products is usually more CPU intensive than
transmitting them, I recommend using the "-flush" option rather than "-close".

> Is there any consequence to not using the -close switch when downloading a
> file? In our current configuration we have about 50 regex matches, with
> 'FILE -strip' or 'FILE -strip -overwrite', but only 2 out of the 50 have
> 'FILE -close'.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: DRV-310603