[LDM #ISK-264773]: RCP Connection Timeout

Robert,

The warning means that your LDM couldn't register itself with the portmapper on
your system (because it's not running). This means that downstream LDM won't be
able to connect to your LDM via the portmapper. The warning may be safely
ignored because any downstream LDM will undoubtedly connect to your LDM using
port 388.

Many sites disable the portmapper because they consider it a security risk.

> I set up LDM (6.13.5) on two servers last week which I have done
> successful ly dozens of times previously.  Both servers are running
> CentOS 6.8.  The first installation went fine.  The second installation
> went fine with the exception that I see the following error in the log
> at startup:
>
> 20170206T212033.463835Z ldmd[16009] NOTE
> rpcutil.c:126:local_portmapper_running() clnttcp_create() failure: :
> RPC: Remote system error - Connection timed out
>
> I checked to make sure the root actions were executed and they were.
> Both ldmd and hupsyslog are root owned, and
>
> ldm 300029  # Unidata LDM System
>
> can be found at the bottom of /etc/rpc.  In addition, /etc/services
> contains
>
> unidata-ldm     388/tcp                 # Unidata LDM
> unidata-ldm     388/udp                # Unidata LDM
>
> as expected.  The only difference I can detect between the two systems
> is that the command "rpcinfo -p" contains:
>
> 300029    6   tcp    388  ldmd
> 300029    5   tcp    388  ldmd
>
> in the functioning server, but those same lines are ABSENT from the
> server that does not work.  I don't understand this enough to know why
> they are no t registered, but it seems to be directly related to the
> RPC timeout error in the log.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: ISK-264773