[LDM #IOW-825280]: Unidata's Local Data Manager (LDM)

Hello Elizabeth,

> I am trying to verify some information about this application.

You've reached the right party. I'm the developer.

> I am told
> that the application is "a jointly-developed and managed application by
> NOAA and the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR)".

Now that's interesting! We would dearly love to know who told you that.

The LDM was developed at UCAR's Unidata Program Center as a way to get
meteorological and related data to US universities engaged in that field. It
became so efficient and popular that it was adopted by NOAA to (among other
things) distribute NEXRAD-II radar data to their Weather Forecast Offices (WFO)
and ingest data from the NOAAPort Broadcast System into each WFO's AWIPS system.

Raytheon, under contract with NOAA, has made some slight modifications to the
NOAAPort ingest component of the LDM -- but that's a very far cry from saying
either they or NOAA "jointly-developed" the LDM.

> I couldn't find any information on the LDM web site regarding NOAA's
> past and current involvement in management of the software.  Can you
> please provide information regarding NOAA's involvement with development
> and management of this software?  Based on the LDM web site, it appears
> that the software is managed and updated by UCAR developers only.

We're the ones who developed and (aside from the contribution from Raytheon)
currently maintain the LDM.

It is free and open-source software, however, and its code repository is on
GitHub -- so anyone could, in theory, contribute. In practice, however, we're
it.

If you don't mind my asking, why do you ask?

And it case it makes any difference, my graduate schooling is in physical
oceanography.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: IOW-825280