[LDM #ELT-225744]: Neverending message queue creation on second invocation of ldmadmin restart

Hi,

re:
> We are setting up LDM 6.13.11.  During testing, the LDM seems fine, and
> after a fresh boot I can do
> ldmadmin restart
> once with no issues.
>
> However, doing
> ldmadmin restart
> again hangs.
>
> In the hung state, the only ldm process running according to:
> > /bin/ps -fluldm
> is /bin/perl /home/ldm/bin/ldmadmin restart
> (aside from a few -bash processes for the various terminals open)

OK.

re:
> and message queues proliferate seemingly without bound:
> > ipcs
> ------ Message Queues --------
> key        msqid      owner      perms      used-bytes   messages
> 0x02b93d01 0          ldm        666        8            1
> 0x02b93d5d 32769      ldm        666        8            1
> 0x02b93e31 65538      ldm        666        8            1
> 0x02b93e78 98307      ldm        666        8            1
> 0x02b93f8b 131076     ldm        666        8            1
> 0x02b93f8e 163845     ldm        666        8            1
> 0x02b93f90 196614     ldm        666        8            1
> 0x02b93f93 229383     ldm        666        8            1
> 0x02b93f95 262152     ldm        666        8            1
> 0x02b93f97 294921     ldm        666        8            1
> 0x02b93f99 327690     ldm        666        8            1
> 0x02b93f9b 360459     ldm        666        8            1
> 0x02b93f9d 393228     ldm        666        8            1
> 0x02b93f9f 425997     ldm        666        8            1
> etc.
>
> Killing ldmadmin, running the cleanup script, deleting ldmd.pid, and issuing
> > ldmadmin start
> seems to bring things back to normal.
>
> Any ideas what might be going on?

The fact that you ran 'ps' by specifying '/bin/ps' suggests that you have
GEMPAK installed and have changed the PATH for the user running your
LDM (typically 'ldm') to include the directory(ies) where GEMPAK executables
are located, and that(those) location(s) are before the locations of system
executables and the LDM executables, utilities and decoders.  The net effect
of this is that the GEMPAK 'ps' command will be used when the system 'ps'
command
is the one that is desired.  Another clue that this may be the case is the fact
that your 'ipcs' output shows Message Queues entries while the LDM does not
use Message Queues at all.

If the guess above is correct, the easiest solution would be to change
the order of the GEMPAK executables in 'ldm's PATH to come at the
end, not at the beginning.  After doing this, one should logout and
then log back on so that the new PATH is in effect, and then stop
and then restart your LDM.

Please let us know if the above fixes your problem, or if we need to
investigate further.

Ticket ID: ELT-225744
Department: Support LDM