20000409: grid decoding on windfall

>From: "Jennie L. Moody" <address@hidden>

Tony and Jennie (who shouldn't be reading this),

I tried just about everything I could think of on windfall and nothing
would get the XCD grid data monitor to decode either ETA or MRF
files:

o watched ETA grib messages come in to verify that the request line you
  have in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf is not doing something unexpected

o compared the GRID configuration files in your uvaworkdata directory
  and the ones that come in the distribution; they were pretty much
  the same except for the MAXGRD=5000 mod that someone made in
  GRIBDEC.CFG (I set the one here at Unidata to 6000 and
  then dropped back to 4000); setting this to 5000 should not be a problem

o made sure that there were not weird characters in NOGRIB.CFG

o stopped and restarted the LDM

o rebuilt dmgrid.k

o stopped and restarted dmgrid.k numerous times

I am stumped!  The only thing I can think of to try is rebooting the
machine.  Draconian yes, but pretty much the only thing left to try!
If a copy of dmgrid.k is cached in memory, and if it is somehow munged,
then a reboot is the quickest way to get back to a clean slate.  The
other reason that I suspect that something is amiss memory wise is that
the XCD startup log file, ~mcidas/uvaworkdata/XCD_START.LOG is
exceedingly small:

windfall: /home/mcidas/uvaworkdata % cat XCD_START.LOG
Starting DDS at 00099.220756
High Resolution Data Service

Given the fact that I have stopped and restarted dmgrid.k several times,
I would expect there to be multiple entries telling me that DMGRID was
being started.

I will keep trying to see if I have missed anything, but I don't have
a lot of hope at this point.

I am saving all of the ETA, MRF, and AVN files we are decoding here until
further notice. You can get them sometime on Monday.

Tom