20000412: GRDDISP valid date/time display (cont.)

>From: Bill Fingerhut <address@hidden>

Bill,

>Using the TZ environment variable solved the problem!
>Thanks.

Glad to help.

>Once again, it seems to me that McIDAS is not as consistant
>as it could be. The correct time GMT is displayed at the
>bottom of text window 0, so the correct time is available to
>GRDDISP. It seems unnecasary (to me) to need to do any more?

This turns out to be a Linux related problem; we do not see the same
kind of problem on FreeBSD or Solaris x86 (other Unix OSes for Intel).
Since SSEC has been looking at and implementing support for Linux, I
will send them a heads up about this problem.  The code that is not
returning the appropriate time will need to be hacked up to account for
Linux strangeness.

Tom